Meet The Founder
To understand what we do, and why it’s unique, you must understand why we do it; and the journey that lead to the formation of the McKnight Law Firm; why the McKnight Law Firm is passionate about fighting for injured people. We truly identify with people, not corporations and insurance company interests.
Our Firm’s founder and principal, Jody McKnight is a native of Charleston, S.C. He grew up in the West Ashley region of Charleston, where he attended St. Andrews High School in 1983, then majored in Political Science at the University of South Carolina. While at USC, he worked for one of the premier personal injury trial lawyer law firms in Columbia, S.C., which motivated him to eventually go to law school and represent injured people, rather than insurance companies or large corporations.
He graduated from the University of South Carolina School of Law, 1993, and has worked with injured people and their families on serious injury and wrongful death cases since that time. He identifies with the people, because of where he came from and the journey that led him to his present position as principal of the McKnight Law Firm. He has not forgotten his roots, or the importance of being a champion of justice for the people.
He is the proud father of two adult children. He understands family, and what it can mean to become seriously disabled or to lose a family member.
Jody is recognized across the State of South Carolina and beyond South Carolina, as an effective litigation and trial advocate for people who have suffered serious injuries, or for families who have lost a loved involving a wrongful death.
Jody has penned articles in professional publications on topics related personal injury litigation and trial strategy and communication. The National Trial Lawyers Association has ranked Jody as one of the Top 100 trial lawyers in the State of South Carolina, since 2011. He is also recognized and is a member of the Super Lawyers organization, which recognizes and ranks the most prominent and accomplished lawyers in each state.
He remains active in the South Carolina Association for Justice (Formerly South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association), where he served on its Board of Governors for six years, three consecutive two (2) year terms.
The Southern Trial Lawyers Association, a group of some of the most accomplished litigation and trial advocates in the Southeast, nominated and invited him to become a member in 2004; and he continues to be active with the STLA, having relationships, and sharing strategies for case management, litigation, and trial with the best attorneys in the Southeast.
The McKnight Law Firm comes to the table with emotional intelligence. Our team is motivated by empathy, compassion, and the desire to help people who are seriously or catastrophically injured; or those who have lost a loved one due to negligent or reckless behavior under various circumstances. We operate from a foundation of a strong desire to help others, which motivates us during battle. We are fighters, forged from a deep history of fighting for those who are unable to fight for themselves. Take a few minutes and see examples of our some of our significant victories in our case results section of this site.
- Physician Re-Direct Examination: Focus on Context and Science to Uncloak the Black Hat, August 11, 2014, JUSTLAW, Southern Trial Lawyers Association Magazine. South Carolina Supreme Court Landmark Decision by way of Rehearing, February 2011, JUSTLAW, Southern Trial Lawyers Association Magazine
- Unite and Conquer with a Local Trial Lawyer Workshop, May 2001, South Carolina Trial Lawyer Association Bulletin
- Offensive and Defensive Non-Mutual Collateral Estoppel: Due Process Implications of the Sword and Shield, May 1997, South Carolina Trial Lawyer Association Bulletin
Continuing Legal Education Presentations
- Advanced Trial Tactics, Opening Statement and Direct Examination, National Business Institute Seminar, December, 2017.
- Plaintiff’s Personal Injury, From Start to Finish National Business Institute Seminar, February, 2020
- Auto Injuries: Advanced Plaintiff’s Strategies: Using Doctor Testimony to Your Advantage National Business Institute Seminar, August, 2020